Sunday, February 7, 2010

Mini Challenge: League of Reluctant Adults - Kat Richardson

I don't know what I was thinking, I guess I got all caught up in the excitement, etc., but I entered the New Author Mini Challenge: League of Reluctant Adults. I know, I know.  More stuff to read. But I really do like Urban Fantasy and its ilk.  We shall see if I can get more than one of these read this month!  First up:

Greywalker, by Kat Richardson, published by ROC. 
Harper Blaine is a private investigator who gets attacked by a guy she's investigating, and dies momentarily in the process.  As she recovers, she finds that she can see ghosts, vampires and other strange things, things that belong in the Grey.  She has to learn how to deal with and operate in the Grey, which she is quite reluctant to do.  Harper takes on a couple of cases in this first book of the series, that seem to start out normal but end up being quite paranormal.  One is to find the maker of a new vampire so he can be taught the things he needs to know to survive.  The other is to find an antique parlor organ that purportedly belongs to a mysterious client. Harper finds herself in deep and dire circumstances in these cases, and has to ask for help from creatures she would otherwise avoid. 

I really like Harper.  She's the urban fantasy heroine we've come to know and love, the kick-ass woman who occasionally gets her ass kicked.  Her discovery of the Grey is enticing to follow.  We come to understand it along with her, so it's a process.  Harper really does not want to have this ability, doesn't want to learn about this odd zone, but eventually she has no choice if she's going to survive.  The characters in her life are wonderfully drawn and have their own mysteries.  Quinton is the strange electronics guru who seems to have no office or workspace, and likes to be paid in cash.  Mara and Ben are the couple who know about the Grey and try to teach Harper, with Mara being a witch and Ben an academic.  Carlos the vampire is deliciously scary, but helps Harper (for a price). I'm not sure that anyone is what they seem, and I know that their stories will unfold as the series progresses.

5 comments:

  1. I like this series. In fact, I can see Greywalker on my shelf from where I'm sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Except the most recent one, I think, which came out after my m/m reading obsession began.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read the first two, and have the third in the batter's box. But there's only so much time for non-m/m, and I have to find time for a couple more of the challenge books...

    I need that tshirt: so many books, so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need that t-shirt, too!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!